After dropping off my sister and her kids at their house from the ride home from N.C., and taking the recycables to the recycling center, the kids and I were on our way home. There is a road close by that is EXTREMELY curvy and in my opinion a blind drive. We no sooner turn on the road and come to the first major curve that we happened upon this.
Yikes. Yes, that's right--an overturned vehicle. I couldn't believe it!! I had gotten to the scene just MOMENTS after it happened. I never really gathered the entire story as to what happened but this is my guess after discussing it with my bro-in-law. There is a "dip" in this particular curve but it is in the other lane of oncoming traffic. First of all, how smart is it to drive in the on-coming traffic lane in the middle of the day? It's one thing to cut the curves short crossing lanes at night but in the middle of the day when it's a blind drive to begin with--come on. I have an explanation, though, and I'm not profiling because profiling is wrong; BUT, the kids in the turned-over truck were no more than 18 years old. Our theory is that they took this "dip" to create a sling shot effect around the curve and after seeing an on-coming car, attempted to swerve out of the way, over compensated and there you have it. I'd definitely hate to be the driver of the truck when the police asked me "how did this happen". Poor soul: male, 17-18 yrs, acting stupid...the dude doesn't have a prayer in heck...he's going down, I just hope it isn't too bad.
The man and woman were witnesses but they didn't call 911--I was the one who called 911. What's up with that? HELLO!!! When I got there they were just standing around. Yeah I got there just after it happened but I would be on the phone in a heart beat calling 911! They "aren't of our people" as my grandmother would say, and may not speak english very well but I'm sure there are 911 operators who are bi-lingual. As I pulled up closer to the crash site, I saw the lady involved (ate 40's?) and asked if there was anything she wanted me to do and she replied, "yeah, call the police." Well duh, that's the logical thing to do but I assumed that SOMEONE would have called already. She couldn't find her phone because it had gotten thrown during impact. Another man stopped to help direct traffice since it was only two lane and the accident was taking 1 of those lanes. To my surprise though, there were a few cars in front of me that passed them up before I got to them! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! Wow, is there no such thing as a good samaritan anymore? Are people really that gosh darn busy?! Have a heart.
The kids were intrigued with the whole situation and kept asking me, "what happened?", "why is the truck turned over". Lana commented, "he's gonna have to buy a new truck now." Yup, baby, I think you are right was my reply. I just explained that this is what happens when you don't drive safe and you make bad choices when driving and that he was probably going too fast. Lana kept wanting to get out to take a closer peek and I don't know how many times I explained that it was safer for her to stay in the van and this was an adult's job to take care of. After taking a few pictures, I came back to the van to see both kids on their knees in the back seats with their eyes peering through the glass, glued to the excitement.
Luckily, no one was hurt.
1 comment:
Ummm....WOW! That is one crazy accident! Pretty dumb how no one called 911 but you!!! Way to help out Ness!
Post a Comment